Saturday, November 24, 2007

a.r.r

I have learned music since I was 13 years old. The biggest advantage is that one can create music of any country. Once you listen to its style, you can present the music in your own way. You don't have to steal it.
But for Kisna, I didn't listen to anything. I just looked up what kind of musical instruments were available in those days. Kisna is not like Asoka where the film moved in one direction and the music in another.
If I had done such work, I would have criticised myself. Take Deewangee . When I saw it, I liked it so much that I told director Anees Bazme to remove the song from the film, as that would enhance the movie. But he thought I was joking. I am the type of person that if I don't like my work, I will admit it.
There was a great amount of understanding between Subhashji and me. For example, Kisna had a vocalist Ustad Rashid Khan. We recorded Rashidbhai's voice without any music. But the song was not going to be used in the film. So Subhashji asked me why I was wasting time on this song, as it would not be used



But I replied we must use a singer as powerful as Rashidbhai.

Later, I thought we should use the song in the film. So I arranged the music according to the film. When Subhashji heard the song, he fell in love with it.
The song, Kahein ujadi moree neend, was used in the beginning of the film, when the titles roll out.
I have launched a new singer Ayesha I Darbar, who also happens to be my wife. She sang the title track, Kisna hai and Chilman.
No one will believe me, but I had composed Chilman in my dream! I had dreamt about this song for three nights! It is my favourite in the movie, and also the toughest.
Subhashji and I worked on the music for 92 days. We don't get satisfied very easily.
I visited on the sets only once -- when the song, Hum brahmasmi, was being picturised on Isha Sharvani.
We actually had another title song in mind, which was finalised. But one day Subhashji came to my house with his assistant and said he wanted to listen to the song again. After he heard it, he decided to do it in a different way. Mein bahut junooni aadmi hoon jab aisa kuch hota hai. Mujhe aisa lagata hai kya aap ek mahine se behere the kya? (I am a very passionate person. When this happened, I wondered if he was deaf for the past month!)
When I started working on the new title track, I asked him to be present for the entire composition. Now, it has become very popular -- Woh Kisna hai.
I get a lot of calls from my fans, who have liked my songs. These are not people from the film industry but common people. It is satisfying that today's generation liked the songs.
People seem to think now that I can create music for period dramas only. I can't change everybody's thinking. If a director comes to me with a new type of music, I will prove myself.
I have learnt to play the violin. It is not difficult for me to make music of any style. I just need to understand it. But I don't feel scared about being typecast in period dramas because making music for such movies requires guts. What I am doing is not easy. God has given me talent.

No comments: